~ 1930’s Forde Dover Car Badge ~
The chromed badge has the ship’s flag surrounded by a life ring, all in enamel. There are three flags underneath for the countries visited. It was made by Thomas Fattorini.
~ The Ships History ~
The Forde was used as a pre-World War 2 ferry running from Dover to Calais.
Originally she was built as HS Ford, a Hunt class minesweeper built for the Royal Navy during World War 1.
In 1928 she was sold to Townsend Bros and converted into a car ferry between Dover and Calais, fitted with a stern door which folded down onto the quay. However, this was unusable, and the cars were craned on. She could carry 165 passengers and 26 cars. Two general saloons, a ladies’ saloon and three private staterooms were constructed.
During the Second World War, Forde served under the Admiralty as a salvage vessel. Afterwards, she was refitted at Southampton and returned to Dover as a car ferry on 12 April 1947. She was withdrawn in October 1949, sold to Bland Line, renamed “Gibel Tarik” and finished her days as a car ferry between Gibraltar and Tangier, Morroco finally being withdrawn in 1954.
~ Condition ~
The badge is in good order with some light corrosion. The enamel is complete with minimal pitting.
~ Dimensions ~
The badge is 9.5 cm (3.75 inches) tall and 9 cm (3.5 inches) wide.