~ Blue Funnel Line ‘Pyrrhus’ (1949) Cargo/Liner Name Board ~
This is a painted wooden board, the wood is probably white oak.
The board face is white with black carved letters.
On the right hang side is attached a label with the same name ‘PYRRHUS’.
The ship was build by Cammell Laird & Co, Birkenhead and launched on 3rd of September 1948. It had a speed of 18.5 knots, with a tonage of 11,000 dwt and a crew of 35.
Pyrrhus was the second of the ‘P’ Class ‘A’ Class cargo liners and by far the most powerful motor ships Alfred Holt’s had built to date. Whilst berthed at Gladstone Dock at Liverpool in 1964 she caught fire which took twenty-four hours to bring under control. The ship had to be evacuated on two occasions because her stability was threatened with the sheer volume of water which was being pumped on board. After repairs she continued on her normal commercial service until being sold for breaking at Taiwan arriving on the 19th of September 1972.
~ Dimensions ~
The width of the name board is 70.5 cm (27.7 inches), it has a height of 19.5 cm (7.6 inches) and is 1.5 cm deep.
~ Condition ~
The board is in vintage condition. The wood has a chip on the lower left corner and the white paint is worn in places, but the overall condition is decent.