~ Circa 1915 German Gaede Helmet ~
The helmet consists of a heavy steel shell with fluted nose guard pierced above the ears for an optional chinstrap, inner leather skull crown which extends over the rear of the head and a leather liner with eight tongues.
When troops entered the First World War in 1914 , they were, at best equipped with cloth or leather caps from sabre cuts. The German army behaved hesitantly in the development of an effective head protection, but some units developed provisional helmets in 1915. Stationed in the rocky area of the Vosges the German Army Detachment “Gaede” recorded significantly more head injuries caused by stone and shell splinters than did troops in other sectors of the front. The artillery workshop of the Army Detachment developed a helmet that consisted of a leather cap with a steel plate (6 mm thickness). The plate protected not only the forehead but also the eyes and nose. They were superseded in 1916 by the more familiar Stahlhelm.
~ Condition ~
The helmet shell has surface corrosion, the leather lining is complete but musty. The draw string is a replacement. There is no chinstrap.
~ Dimensions ~
The helmet is 28cm (11 inches) in length, 20cm (8 inches) wide and 15cm (6 inches) tall. It weighs 2.38 Kg.