~ HMS Castor Ships Boat Badge ~
A bronze ships boat badge from the light cruiser HMS Castor (1915).
The badge is of pentagonal form with a gold painted twisted rope border and features to the centre, the head of a horse in grey and gold on a red painted ground.
The badge is of cast bronze with three fixing holes to the corners and has the name ‘Castor’ cast into the reverse.
The badge measures 14cm (5 ½ inches) by 14cm (5 ½ inches).
It weighs 965g.
~ Condition ~
Some of the paint is worn but the badge itself is in a very good condition with no damages and only light age wear.
~ HMS Castor ~
HMS Castor was one of the Cambrian subclass of the C class of light cruisers.
Castor was built by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead, England. She was laid down on 28 October 1914, launched on 28 July 1915 and completed in November 1915.
She saw service during the First World War including taking part in the battle of Jutland in which she
was damaged by German gunfire and also saw service in the Russian Civil War.
Castor was sold on 30 July 1936 for scrapping and arrived at the shipbreaker’s yard at Rosyth in