WW2 M6 Tank periscope used during World War 2, 1943 and after, by both U.S. Army and the Marine Corps. They were used in US tanks such as the Sherman and Stuart.
The “scope” was mounted by inserting it into a bracket and hooked onto a lip. The centre knob was then tightened to secure it in place. If either glass lens shattered during a firefight, the damaged lens could be quickly removed and replaced by turning the knobs on each side of the periscope, which would release the lens for replacement. There is a grip handle at the front which would have been used to pull the periscope down.
From the website The Sherman Tank:
“…there were 12, M6 periscopes in each late model Sherman. Six mounted in in various places, one in the driver’s hatch that rotated, and a fixed one in front of him. The co-driver had the same layout, just on the other side, he used the hatch or fixed periscope to aim the bow machine gun. The loader had had a rotating periscope at their station, and the commander had one in his hatch. There were two complete M6 periscopes in brackets on the turret walls, one near the loader, and the other by the commander. The amazing piece of American tank engineering, the driver’s hood holder, stored four complete M6 periscopes…”
Sturdy and solid, the periscopes measure approximately 28×16.5×4.5cm.
*Condition* This is in excellent condition. In original working condition, prisms intact, original paint. Comes apart easily. Please see photographs as part of the condition report.