Original WW2 Pathescope camera as used during ww2 by 3 Squadron RAF. Still with a film cassette, who knows what this camera has witnessed or indeed what may still be held on this film?? The footage taken on these cameras would have been used in the Pathe newsreels as well as for intelligence purposes.
At the start of the Second World War No 3 Squadron was posted as part of Fighter Command to RAF Station Biggin Hill equipped with the Hawker Hurricane. It briefly deployed to France in support of the British Expeditionary Force following the German attack on the West in 1940, being forced to withdraw after 10 days, having claimed 60 German aircraft for the loss of 21 of its own. On 21 July 1940 “B” flight was detached to form the nucleus of the newly formed No. 232 Squadron. Once back up to strength, No. 3 Squadron was used as air defence for the Royal Naval base at Scapa Flow, remaining in Scotland until April? 1941, based at the RAF Station at Wick in Northern ScotlandIn June 1941 No 3 Squadron moved from Martlesham Heath to RAF Stapleford Tawney operating four-cannon Hurricane IIs in ‘Rhubarb’ attacks on defended ground targets and shipping in northern France and Belgium.
The original carrying pouch shows signs of its age and hard life with various tears and stains, but this adds to its attraction.
The camera and film seem to be in remarkably good order for the age, but no guarantees as to wether it is operational or not.
Overall a very nice original set .