~ 1930’s Chrome Plated Alvis Hare Car Mascot ~
Alvis Car and Engineering Company Ltd was a British manufacturing company in Coventry from 1919 to 1967. In addition to automobiles designed for the civilian market, the company also produced racing cars, aircraft engines, armoured cars and other armoured fighting vehicles.
Car manufacturing ended after the company became a subsidiary of Rover in 1965, but armoured vehicle manufacture continued. Alvis became part of British Leyland and then in 1982 was sold to United Scientific Holdings, which renamed itself Alvis plc.
This is a 1930’s piece by A. E. LeJeune depicting a standing hare.
The piece is unmarked and is seated on a wooden base, fixed with a central screw, as it would’ve been fixed on top of the car’s radiator.
One of the pictures depicts the mascot on a car radiator. The car is obviously not included!
~ Dimensions ~
The mascot on its stand is 6 ¼ inches (16 cm) tall with a base diameter of 3 ½ inches (9 cm).
~ Condition ~
The mascot is in excellent condition, free of damage.
The wooden base has a chip on the top section (back side of the hare) as seen in the pictures.