A nice bell 20cm high x 15cm across, a nice useable size. Obviously not the main ships bell but it may have come from below decks.
The original clapper is still present and suspension ball is still in good order, ready to fit to any flat horizontal surface.
Th Mavisbrook was built in Sunderland in 1812 and sold to SS. Tregenna and Co of Glasgow, it was a steam cargo ship of 3,152 tons.
When torpedoed it was carrying coal from Cardiff to Malta and was armed, it probably had a deck gun fitted and may have been in a convoy.
It was torpedoed on 17th May 1918 by UB 50 with UB Commander Franz Becker in charge, 50 miles off Cabo De Gato in the Mediterranean. 18 crew were lost including the Master.
There is conflicting research regarding the fate of this vessel from there on as it may have been recovered after the war and used by the Germans? It would certainly have been recovered for scrap purposes anyway.
It is in excellent condition for its age and dramatic life at sea with only the marks and patina expected and no real damage.
Please see the pictures as these form part of our condition report.