~ Circa 1820 Officers 5th Regiment Of Foot (Northumberland) Shoulder Belt Plate ~
The badge consists of the white metal badge, with battle honours, mounted onto a gilt, steel plate.
~ 5th Regiment Of Foot ~
The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers was an infantry regiment of the British Army. Raised in 1674 as one of three ‘English’ units in the Dutch Anglo-Scots Brigade, it accompanied William III to England in the November 1688 Glorious Revolution and became part of the English establishment in 1689.
In 1751, it became the 5th Regiment of Foot, with the regional title ‘Northumberland’ added in 1782; in 1836, it was designated a Fusilier unit and became the 5th (Northumberland Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot.
The regiment embarked for Portugal in July 1808 for service in the Peninsular War. The regiment fought in the Battle of Roliça and the Battle of Vimeiro in August 1808, the Battle of Corunna in January 1809 and the Battle of Bussaco in September 1810. It earned the nicknames the “Old and Bold”, “The Fighting Fifth” and also “Lord Wellington’s Bodyguard”. It formed part of a small force which beat off an overwhelming body of the enemy at El Boden in 1811, a performance which Wellington notified to the Army as a memorable example of what can be done by steadiness, discipline, and confidence. The regiment was in the 3rd Division, 2nd Brigade under command of Major General Charles Colville, consisting of the 1st/5th Regiment of Foot, 2nd/83rd Regiment of Foot, 2nd/87th Regiment of Foot and the 94th Regiment of Foot.
The regiment went on to fight at the Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo in January 1812, the Battle of Badajoz in April 1812 and the Battle of Salamanca in July 1812 as well as the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813. It then pursued the French Army into France and saw action at the Battle of Nivelle in November 1813, the Battle of Orthez in February 1814 and the Battle of Toulouse in April 1814.
The 1st Battalion served on the Canadian frontier in 1814, during the War of 1812. It then returned to Europe but arrived too late to take part in the battle of Waterloo, though it did serve in the army of occupation in France.
After the 1881 Childers Reforms, it adopted the title Northumberland Fusiliers, then Royal Northumberland Fusiliers on 3 June 1935. In 1968, it was amalgamated with the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers and Lancashire Fusiliers to form the present Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
~ Condition ~
Please refer to the images for condition. It is in good order. It appears to have been re-gilded recently.
~ Dimensions ~
The badge is 11 cm (4.25 inches) tall by 8 cm (3.25 inches) wide.