*British, Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards), Helmet Plate Centre*
Brass Badge, with 2 lugs to the reverse. Dated 1875
The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own Yorkshire Regiment), were known as the Yorkshire Regiment until the 1920s, served as a line infantry regiment in the British Army. Established in 1688, it operated under various names until its merger on June 6, 2006, with the Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire and the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment (West Riding), forming the Yorkshire Regiment (14th/15th, 19th, and 33rd/76th Foot).
In 1875, Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales, presented new colors to the 1st Battalion in Sheffield and allowed the regiment to bear her name, transforming into the 19th (1st Yorkshire North Riding – Princess of Wales’s Own) Regiment of Foot. The regiment adopted a cap badge featuring the Princess’s cypher “A,” combined with the Dannebrog or Danish cross, and topped by her coronet. Princess Alexandra, who became Queen Alexandra in 1901, served as the regiment’s Colonel-in-Chief from 1914 until her passing in 1925.
Measures approx: 5cm diameter
In sound, used condition Only 2 of 4 lugs present. Please see photographs as part of the condition report.