This particular Pistol is deactivated but will need to be brought to current standards upon purchase which we will carry out prior to collection/delivery.
Lange Pistole 08 (Artillery Luger)
The adoption of the Lange Pistole 08 or LP 08, aka the “Artillery Luger”, was authorised by the Kaiser on the 2 July 1913. This P08 variation was equipped with a 200 mm (7.9 in) barrel, an 8-position tangent rear sight (calibrated to 800 meters (870 yd)) and a board-type shoulder stock with an attached leather holster. In the event of close combat, the pistol was intended to be used as a carbine with the shoulder stock attached to a lug mounted on the heel of the pistol frame.
When set for long range use the rear sight element visibly moves to the left to compensate for spin drift. While initially intended for use by German artillery units who could not be encumbered by the long and heavy K.98 rifle, the LP 08 was also used by Aviation units (prior to equipping aircraft with machine guns) as well as the infantry, primarily on the Western front during World War I. Stoßtruppen (stormtrooper infantry) units frequently employed the Artillery Luger equipped with a new large magazine, the 32-round Trommelmagazin or ‘snail’ magazine.
Production of the LP 08 ended in 1918 with the end of the war. By that time, German troops had begun using the newly developed MP 18 submachine gun in place of the LP 08 for their stormtroop assault companies. However, by this time enough LP 08 barrels had been manufactured and stockpiled to fill LP 08 export orders into the 1930s.
This pistol is over 100 years old and shows signs of its wartime experiences, it has pitting in various places and the holster has aged but all stitching is in tact, in all a nice historic item which currently strips, cocks and dry fires but is not likely to do so after the required update to deactivation. Please see the pictures as these form part of our condition report.