An excellent example of a case used by the Mk IV 4.5 inch cannon. The Mark IV used a two part (charge and shell) ammunition system and being designed specifically for use by small warships. It fitted in the BD Mark IV, CP Mark V and UD Mark VI mountings.
The QF 4.5 inch L/45 was developed originally as a dual-purpose weapon with which to arm aircraft carriers and reconstructed battleships and battlecruisers. It was later developed as a new dual-purpose weapon with which to arm destroyers, supplanting the ubiquitous 4.7 inch gun. Despite the lower calibre, it actually had a heavier shell, resulting in a more powerful weapon.
Our example hear bears’ a number of marks and stamps amongst which is the manufacturing year, 1944. Please see the pictures for more details.
The former ‘owner’, being him a sailor or civilian made it into an umbrella stand, following the example of the old WW1 trench art pieces.